Estimated completion time (text + video): 1hr 29min
Market Research: An absolute must!
Are you planning to start a business? Are you interested in running a successful modern farm? Do you intend to sell a product to customers? If the answer to any of these is yes, then you absolutely MUST conduct market research!
Market research is one of the single most important parts of planning and running a successful business of any type.
Whether you’re just getting started or you’ve been in business for years, the information that market research provides you is incredibly valuable for guiding smart business decisions, helping you connect with customers, allowing you to solve challenges, and setting you up to succeed.
Before writing your business plan, pulling money out of savings, or even trying to get an investor, you must determine if your business idea is feasible through market research.
How farmers conduct market research
This course is designed for anyone who wants to sell produce on a commercial level. In it, we’ll help you understand all aspects of market research from a farming perspective.
In this course, you’ll learn:
- What market research is and why it’s important
- The different types of research
- How and what to investigate in your market and the industry
- How to perform a SWOT and risk analysis
- Where to start and to actually conduct the research
- What tools to use and what to expect in terms of cost
- How to make smart business decisions based on your research results
- Market research mistakes to avoid
This course is written and prepared by Mia Lauenroth and presented by Vivan Georgalas.
Mia Lauenroth discovered her love for environmental research on the Front Range at a young age and has been pursuing it ever since. In addition, she earned her Bachelor’s degree in Spanish Literature at the University of Wyoming and is delighted to bring her experiences to writing and researching for Upstart University. She is excited to learn and share knowledge alongside new farmers and to participate in the modern agriculture movement.
Vivian Georgalas first came to Wyoming as an exchange student during college in 2013 and decided that Laramie was the place for her. She loves the perspectives gained by living and working abroad while combining her job with her experience and degrees in Renewable Energy and Energy MBA. Growing up on a farm in Norway, she finds herself lucky to be part of the new generation of farm technology and farmers.
Take this Course
- Lesson 1: The Importance of Market Research 20min
- Lesson 2: Planning & Prep 17min
- Lesson 3: Conducting Market Research 30min 15sec
- Lesson 4: Using What You've Learned 21min 15sec