Topic Progress:


  • There are three types of organic labels: “100% Organic,” “Organic,” and “Made with organic ingredients.” (0:15)
  • There is one exemption to being certified: you make less than $5,000 annual revenue from organic products. (1:45)
  • These labels are process claims, not product claims. (2:22)

There are three types of organic labels (or “process claims”) that you can put on your “principal display panel”, the primary label that you use on whatever product you’re bringing to market.

  1. 100% Organic: Every ingredient in the product is a certified organic ingredient.
  2. Organic: 95% ingredients are organic. This label is also used on raw, organic produce (where there is only one ingredient) since a 100% organic label would be redundant.
  3. Made with organic ingredients: The product contains at least 70% organic ingredients, and remaining 30% of ingredients cannot use GMOs or any synthetic pesticides or other prohibited materials. This is the only label of the three that cannot use the USDA Organic seal in addition to the word “organic.”

In order to use these labels, you must be a certified organic producer. There is only one exemption: if your farm makes less than $5,000 annual revenue from organic products, then you don’t have to be certified, but you do have to follow all organic standards, including record keeping. Even if you’re exempt, you can’t use the USDA organic seal unless you have been certified.

Remember that all of these claims are process claims, not product claims.



Upstart University

Upstart University