Estimated time to complete (text + video): 5hrs 3min
Learn about lighting
Light and lighting are hugely important for planning your vertical farm. This course will teach you the fundamentals of lighting for your Upstart farm, everything from what light is and how plants use it, to the installation of the lights and calculating your electricity needs.
The course is designed for anyone who is thinking about, is in the process of, or has already started an Upstart Farm because of the importance that lighting plays in the success of a farm, this course is truly for anyone.
In this course, you will:
- Learn about the relationship between light and plants
- Learn about the various lighting types that exist and which is best for your goals
- Think critically about your lighting options in regards to your farm goals
- Determine the lighting needs for different crops
- Gain an understanding of the nuts and bolts of lighting on a vertical farm
This course is taught by Nate Storey.
Note: Dear students, this course is a survey of lighting and chock-full of information! The Upstart U team recommends that you take your time with this course and take lots of breaks so that you can process (and use) more of the information presented.
Want more info on LED lighting? Check out mini course: LED Lighting for Indoor Farmers.
Want to learn on the go?
Access to all Upstart University courses is available for a simple monthly subscription. Join today!
- Lesson 1: Light and Plants 1hr 25min
- Lesson 2: Types of Artificial Light 44min 45sec
- Lesson 3: Light and Crops 1hr 45min
- Lesson 4: Nuts and Bolts of Lighting 1hr 8min